Monday, January 31, 2011

Stories We Tell Ourselves About Ourselves

Margaret Carlisle Duncan’s (1998) article “Stories We Tell Ourselves About Ourselves” does an exceptional job of illustrating how storytelling can create empathy and allow the reader to “re-envision [themselves] as the marginalized Other (p. 95).” Duncan (1998) uses several narratives to prove this point, which proves to be quite poignant in allowing the reader to identify with the narrator and gain a new perspective on a given topic. For example, an article that simply describes “Kempo-Goju,” a predominantly African-American form of martial art may give the reader a factual description of the art, but it is unlikely that the reader will feel any connection to it, thus making it more likely that the reader may disregard the information, or not understand its significance. However, in “Tavita’s Story” the reader is given a narrative about the importance of Kempo-Goju, and, through the eyes of Tavita, the reader may feel a greater connection to the information, and have a greater understanding of Kempo-Goju’s significance both to the narrator and to the greater African-American population as a whole.

Personally, I was more deeply affected by “Steven’s Story,” as well as the story regarding the Atkins Diet. Throughout my life, I have always struggled with body image issues, specifically my weight. Much like “Steven,” I have been the target of harassment by other kids on the playground because of my body (luckily without the crotch poking, which I still don’t quite understand), and much like the narrator, I have stood idly by as other kids were harassed for their own appearances. Because I can identify so easily with the characters, I am more sensitive to the moral lesson to be learned from the story.

Likewise, the Atkins story rang true to me as well. I have always struggled with my own weight, with constant fluctuations throughout my teens, until I finally maxed out around 250 pounds during my freshman year of college. The narrator’s story of going to unhealthy means to lose weight is something that I certainly have done. I can identify with her decision to stick with that diet despite the damage that she was doing to her own body. Although the femininity level may not necessarily apply to me, I can still relate to the perspective of the story, putting myself in the narrator’s shoes, I can easily pull out the significance of the story. It is because of this that narratives can be such an effective tool in writing sociologically.

3 comments:

  1. Steve,
    I was able to relate to this article as well, especially with regard to the weight loss and harassment section (also sans crotch poking). I was a wrestler, it happens.  It seems like this article resonated with lots of people in our class too. I would assume almost everybody at some point in their life has struggled with weight issues, with varying degrees of severity. Someone that only minimally struggled with the issue might read this and think, “Wow, I never thought of it getting that serious.” That person then would have their eyes opened to the effects weight can have on others, and maybe be more empathetic in the future. It might even make them more self-aware so that they avoid letting it get to that point in their life. Likewise, someone that has had more severe issues might read this and think, “Other people have gone through this, I’m not alone.” They then might be more willing to seek help if they need it.
    I think the point I am trying to make is that with a truly evocative article many people can be reached and serious good done in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably should not have generalized to give the impression that females primarily are concerned about weight issues and that men are not. My brother was a wrestler in high school (he started out in the 98 lb. class and went up to 120 lbs. by the time he was a senior), and I well remember him practically starving himself. I am sure that "cutting weight" for wrestlers is as dangerous (if not moreso) than some of the crazy diets that many women attempt. I am really glad that both of you could see the value of Duncan's poignantly written stories. Would you mind if I shared your comments about this article with her, Steve and Matt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, it is difficult to imagine what people will put themselves through, like the Atkins diet story, to be happy. So much damage is being done to the body to be "happy." I remember wrestlers in high school that would eat only minimal meals at lunch (and same with breakfast and dinner at home) and then would run in sweatpants, sweatshirts and even sometimes plastic suits! Though the idea of losing weight for them was not a personal body issue but for competition, it is similar to body image issues. If they cannot be a lower weight, they are willing to go through drastic measures to lose the desired weight, just as many people do with diets. I also think the opposite is true. For those who body image is not the issue, but comfort eating is an issue, these people will sometimes carry a vast amount of extra weight. Though it may be gradual or drastic, the amount of fat they may carry is dangerous as to their health as unhealthy ways of losing weight.

    ReplyDelete